A Firsthand Look at Joshua Tree National Park During the Government Shutdown

A Firsthand Look at Joshua Tree National Park During the Government Shutdown

More than 400 parks and monuments across the USA are affected by the partial shutdown of the federal government.

"The Department of Interior is very likely violating appropriations law", Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN), the new chair of the House Appropriations Committee's Subcommittee on Interior, Environment and Related Agencies, told the Post, adding: "We are certainly going to be doing oversight as the acting secretary moves forward with this, and he will be hearing from me directly". "At least 80 percent of the money stays in the park where it is collected, and the other 20 percent is used to benefit parks that do not collect fees". "This is not how a rational president behaves, and the Natural Resources Committee will demand answers about whether these moves are legally justified".

Dozens of people associated with Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association, the largest national organization for Muslim youths, cleaned up litter, emptied trash cans and swept the grounds in places such as the Everglades National Park in Florida and Joshua Tree National Park in California, according to CNN.

If Shenandoah National Park takes part in the plan, the trust says it will still cover the cleaning cost of port-a-potties.

According to a National Parks Service official who spoke to the Washington Post anonymously, park rangers on duty often will stop hikers from bringing their dogs on trails because of various risk factors.

"Since [the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act's] original passage, it's always been interpreted by the Park Service as not available for operations", Jarvis said, according to The Hill. Some believe this move could drain park reserve funds.

Rami Malek Cringes Over That Awkward Golden Globes Moment with Nicole Kidman!
And to celebrate The Queen's Band of the Grenadier Guards performed the iconic title track outside Buckingham Palace. The actor said: "And of course [thanks] to Queen ". "I love you, you handsome man".

Still, the National Park Service did note that the investigation into the death of the Yosemite visitor was affected by the shutdown.

On Sunday, the National Park Service released a statement that they will be pulling from the funds derived from entrance, camping, parking and other miscellaneous park fees to put towards staffing of select parks, although which parks and the amount of money has yet to be specified.

Stewart said Sunday that he was happy Interior would keep the parks running.

Over the weekend, Trump threatened to escalate the situation by using his presidential powers to declare a national emergency in an apparent bid to bypass Congress to secure funding for his border wall.

The National Park Service, citing aging facilities, increased visitation and unreliable funding, hasn't kept pace with infrastructure repairs, said Restore America's Parks' campaign organizer Michael Dabbs, during a 2017 meeting at the WildEdge Brewing Collective in downtown Cortez. On Sunday, Mount Rainier National Park announced that it was closing motor vehicle access beyond the park entrance because its main concession operator had stopped picking up trash and cleaning the bathrooms, and because snow was starting to accumulate.

"In addition to human waste in public areas, driving off-road and other infractions that damage the resource are becoming a problem", the agency said.

Related Articles